Korean Government Medal Honors Korean War Veterans


Embassy of the Republic of Korea seeks Korean War veterans to honor with the “Ambassador for Peace” medal.

If you served in the Korean War, you may be eligible for the Korean Ambassador for Peace Medal. This commemorative medal is an expression of appreciation from the Korean government to men and women who served in the Korean War.

“The Korean War, once known as ‘the Forgotten War,’ has never been forgotten by the people of the Republic of Korea,” said Jimin Kim, Deputy Consul General of the Republic of Korea in San Francisco. “The Korean people remember the noble and invaluable sacrifices made by all who fought for the Republic of Korea’s independence. All Korean War veterans are a living testament to the solid Korea-U.S. alliance that has made it possible for the Republic of Korea to maintain today’s peace and prosperity.”

“Two million Californians – 20 percent of our state population at that time – volunteered to serve during the Korean War, and 2,495 of them lost their lives,” said CalVet Secretary Dr. Vito Imbasciani. “Lives that were not lost in vain… as proof, find a phoKoreato of the Korean Peninsula at night, you will see half of a country all lit up and half dark. That southern half, the bright half, that’s what freedom looks like – all because of your service.”

CalVet is pleased to support this sustained effort by the Republic of Korea to ensure that every American who came to the aid of our Korean friends 64 years ago receives individual appreciation.


  • To be eligible, veterans must have served during the Korean War from June 25, 1950 to July 27, 1953. It is also available for veterans who participated in UN peacekeeping operations until the end of 1955.
  • The commemorative medals may be awarded posthumously. However, the highest priority for presenting the medal is given to veterans who are currently surviving in Canada. The next of kin, such as the spouse or descendants may apply for the medal on behalf of a deceased veteran.
  • In order to apply for this commemorative medal, veterans or their family members have to complete the application form. Veterans need to provide a copy of the Veteran’s Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty along with their application form for verification purposes.
  • Please send your completed application form to Ambassador Medal, 205 13th Street, Suite 3300, San Francisco, CA 94103-2461 or fax the form below to (415) 255-1571.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: